Thursday, February 19, 2009

What needs are driving your behaviours?

Hi Everyone,

I am back!!! It's been 13 days, did you miss me?

I have had an amazing time, celebrating my 40th birthday!!!!

I spent my actual birthday with my mum, sister Michelle and my boyfriend Dereck in one of the National Trust homes in England. Here is the link, so you can see where we stayed http://www.nationaltrustcottages.co.uk/nt.asp?p=63&c=348

This was a very different birthday for me. Since the age of 16, I have always celebrated my actual birthday surrounded by friends and family. I was a nightmare, when it came to MY BIRTHDAY!!! Before email (yes there was a time, before email), I would do a count down of my birthday on my screen saver and I would change my answer machine message, informing all callers that it was my birthday on 10th February, so there was no excuse to say you forgot!!

Once everyone had email , there would be an email sent out every mid January reminding everyone, that the special day was coming!! And for EVERYONE who knew me, everyone knew my birthday was 10th February.

As a friend of mine, you were not allowed to do anything else on that day except celebrate with me!! I remember a dear friend of mine Richard, one year could not make the celebration due to a work commitment, so he sent me flowers to my office, as a gift with a card apologising for his absence!!!

I told you, I was a nightmare!!! At the time, I thought I was being completely reasonable!!

In 2006 I attended an Anthony Robbins seminar called 'Unleash the Power Within' and one of the areas he covered was the 6 basis human needs. A few months after the seminar, I realised that my behaviour around my birthday celebrations was not really about enjoying time with family and friends, it was more about my need for significance and certainty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVsYiXuz1aQ

Significance and certainty had to be 'fed' at all times, these two needs drove my behaviours!!! It was quite a shock to come to this realisation.

Through the Anthony Robbins Mastery University http://www.tonyrobbins.com/MasteryUniversity/Index.aspx and other self awareness events and programs, Growth and Contribution are now my two driving human needs!!

So celebrating my birthday with my mum, Michelle and Dereck was just as enjoyable as my other birthdays.

Don't get me wrong, I still love to celebrate, I had my 40th birthday in London and Dereck and my friend Marjoliene threw me a surprise birthday party, when I got back to Trinidad. The difference is, I don't need to be surrounded by loads of people to feel loved, I know my family and friends love me. And if you can't make it or forgot, it's OK.

I carry everyone's love inside me, it does not have to be displayed physically anymore for me to know that it exists.

I love life and all it has to offer. I love myself and I am comfortable in my own skin!!!

Friends and family have noticed and commented on the change in my overall behaviour (not just regarding birthday celebrations). I have transcended and it is a great feeling.

Which of the 6 human needs are driving your behaviours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVsYiXuz1aQ

What impact is this having on your life and the lives of the people around you?

See you tomorrow.

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment